39 workers rescued from blaze at Pearl

by Gulf Times

by gulf-times.com

Civil Defence personnel put out a fire that broke out in one of the under-construction buildings in the Pearl-Qatar mixed community development yesterday and rescued all the 39 workers who were inside  the structure, a spokesman for the Ministry of Interior said. All the rescued workers are safe and in good health.

Rescue personnel used special mobile cranes to evacuate the trapped workers who were asked to assemble on the 13th floor of the building.  After bringing down the last worker from the affected building, a team of firemen launched a floor by floor search to ensure that no one was trapped inside.

According to the Ministry of Interior, the fire broke out in Building No.21 in Viva Bahriya District of the man-made island. “It is one of the many buildings under construction, and was located at a distance from the housing and recreation areas of Pearl-Qatar.”
The fire started in the lower floors of the building while workers were still on the upper floors. Rescuers were able to reach them and evacuate them, the ministry said on its Twitter account.

A number of fire engines, water tankers and ambulances were rushed to the place on being informed about the outbreak of the blaze.  The MoI personnel had cleared all vehicles from the access roads to the affected building and it helped the rescue vehicles and their teams reach the place without any problem.

The first information about the fire came at around 8pm. At 9.35pm, the MoI site reported that the fire was wholly under control.

A community website  put the number of ambulances at the area around 15. It reported that besides the fire engines, helicopters were also pressed into service.

The latest fire incident occurred just eight days after the major blaze at the Villaggio mall where 19 people, including 13 tiny tots, were killed.

Villaggio fire probe report submitted to Heir Apparent’s office
The fact-finding committee probing the circumstances of the fire that claimed the lives of 19 people, including 13 children, at the Villaggio shopping mall last week, has finished its work and submitted its report to the office of HH the Heir Apparent. HH the HeirApparent Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani had ordered the committee on May 28 to investigate the incident and submit a report in a week’s time. Headed by HE Chairman of the Administrative Control and Transparency Authority Abdullah bin Hamad al-Attiyah, the committee will announce later the results of its mission, after informing relatives of the victims of the reasons and circumstances of the fire, and the measures that will be taken to prevent future incidents.

About Paguyuban Keluarga Dukhan

Komunitas Masyarakat Indonesia di Dukhan - Qatar
Gallery | This entry was posted in Seputar Qatar and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s